Marla H. Norton of Bayard’s Business Entity Group “is experienced in the alternative entity space and is frequently called upon to provide third-party legal opinions.”
– Chambers USA 2016
Delaware entity laws are renowned for their flexibility, predictability and consistent evolution to meet the needs of the marketplace.
Bayard Business Entities attorneys:
- have significant experience with the formation and operation of Delaware business entities, including corporations, limited liability companies, general and limited partnerships and statutory trusts.
- are intimately familiar with the flexibility and advantages that make Delaware business entities favored choices for doing business.
- are knowledgeable about fiduciary duty matters and the interplay between the “default” rules applicable to unincorporated business entities and the provisions in their governing documents.
- are experienced with the use of bankruptcy-remote “special purpose” entities in structured finance and securitization transactions, conduit loan and other credit and insurance-related transactions.
- serve clients ranging from small, local business organizations and start-up venture businesses to existing enterprises choosing Delaware business entities as holding companies or to implement acquisitions, investments, restructurings or projects.
- are accustomed to advising clients with respect to issues arising during all stages of the life cycle of a business organization.
- are adept with the domestication of foreign entities in Delaware as well as redomestication of Delaware entities in other jurisdictions.
- have advised clients regarding the risks and advantages of alternative entities with series imposing a limitation on interseries liabilities.
- are accustomed to responding to client needs on an expedited basis when a matter is time-sensitive.
Bayard attorneys prepare and review:
Amendments and filings for all entity types
Certificates of incorporation and corporate bylaws
Limited liability company operating agreements
Trust agreements or declarations of trust for statutory trusts
Legal opinions for clients and third parties
Comparison of Delaware Business Entities
A chart summarizing Delaware alternative entity law, prepared by Bayard Director Marla H. Norton, is set forth below. The chart provides an overview of significant features of each entity type and highlights the default rules of each. (Click on the chart to expand for viewing.)